Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Guest Review: Scary School by Derek the Ghost


Please welcome my 9 year old son, David, who  read this book and agreed to review the book through a Q&A.  I think he did a marvelous job so don't be surprise if you see him here again.  In fact I think I'll have him run the reviews of Young Reader books here from now on because he's sharp and a natural!  ~By the way, isn't he such a handsome young lad?  I sure think so!!  Love you eternally, Son!  Thanks for the review!  Mwuah!!  ~Be sure to leave David a comment to tell him what you thought about his review.  :)

Scary School by Derek the Ghost aka Derek Taylor Kent, Scott M. Fischer -Illustrator, YR, 2011, 237p, rating=5
Source: library

You think your school's scary?
Get a load of these teachers:
"Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire
"Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess
"Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie
"Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"
Plus
Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose
The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch
And
The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost
Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky. (Goodreads)

What would you rate this book? (1-don't bother; 2-satisfactory; 3-overall good; 4-highly recommend; 5-a must read)
5, a must read!

What do you like and not like about the book?
I liked that the author used very descriptive words so I can really see the pictures in my head.  The thing I didn't like about it was absolutely nothing!

What's your favorite part?
When Frank N. Stein showed up, that was very surprising.  I was thinking Frankenstein would come.

Who was your favorite character and why?
I liked Jason because he had a crush on Ms. Fang, that was funny!

Describe the feelings you felt while reading the book.
I felt like I was really in Scary School.

Would you read another book from this author?
Yes, because I really liked this book so why wouldn't I like another book?

What's your overall impression of the book?
I loved the book and I would love to read Scary School 2.

If you could change something about the book, what would it be?
Hmmm, well actually nothing at all!

What would you like the author to know?
I love the book and thank you for such an awesome book!

Side note:  This was a spur of the moment adventure.  I asked questions from the top of my head and David was very excited to answer them.  He truly enjoyed this opportunity to voice his thoughts about this book.  He wanted to stay up to see this post go live but of course I had much to do to set this up and it would be well pass his bedtime by the time I finish it (because I'm slow like that!).

Oh, I did read this book as well and wasn't as enthusiastic about the read as David but I'm long past childhood so my sense of fascination isn't in tune with a young reader's mind.  I personally would rate this book a 3.5.  That said, since this book is geared to young readers, David's review is more apropos.

8 comments:

  1. What a great review of this book. I will make sure to get it for my daughter. It seems like something she would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, David :) This sounds like a cool book that's not TOO scary, and perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((hugs)) & applause to David for such an outstanding job well done!! Scary School sounds like a fun book, and I loved when your son remarked how the writer used descriptive words so he could actually see the pictures in his head! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a fun book for October. Thanks for the review. It is always important to read a review from a young person's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! My daughter loves books like this so it's good to know that this one is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, it's me David. I just wanted to say thank you all for the kind words. I really appreciated it and it really cheered me up! I hope your kids would like it as much as I do and I bet they will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent review! We should have children reading and reviewing children's books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on a great review, I hope you are going to become a regular feature on the blog as its wonderful to read about these books from a young persons point of view.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates