Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Like Water for Chocolate"

a novel in monthly installments, with recipes, romances, and home remedies.
by Laura Esquivel, translated by Carol Christensen and Thomas Christensen, AF, 1992, 245p, rating=3.5

The classic love story takes place on the De la Garza ranch, as the tyrannical owner, Mama Elena, chops onions at the kitchen table in her final days of pregnancy. While still in her mother's womb, her daughter to be weeps so violently she causes an early labor, and little Tita slips out amid the spices and fixings for noodle soup. This early encounter with food soon becomes a way of life, and Tita grows up to be a master chef. She shares special points of her favorite preparations with listeners throughout the story.  (Goodread)

A dramatic, sensual, and exquisite tale about a forbidden love. I was so engrossed in the reading that I was startled when my husband walked up to me in his drawers and asked in a stern tone, "Where is my uniform?". Yikes, they were still in the dryer (thank goodness they weren't in the washer)! I was far in the De la Garza ranch and had not heard the dryer timer go off! So my reading was interrupted momentarily to prepare my Honey's uniform, then off I went to finish the book. :)

I like how Ms. Esquivel incorporated recipes and home remedies in the novel. Similar to Jennifer Chiaverini's books but this book felt more ingrained and in its own right became characters of the story ... full of effects of emotions to food and vice versa ... giving the story, soul. Pretty impressive and delectable!

For some reason, this fantasy-reality switching storyline reminded me of the story of Don Quixote. The passionate words, the melodrama, and the setting felt exotic. There's just something about Latin love stories that's ... okay, I'll say it, ... sexy! This book is certainly one of those.

There's a lot of sadness in this book but the food and fantasy made it an enjoyable read. The womanhood of mom and sisters was an added plus as well. Yeay for strong women!! ~Now, I'm curious to see the movie version.

3 comments:

  1. the movie is beautiful -- I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu reminded me to see the movie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Melissa --I can imagine it being beautiful.
    @BookQuoter --you're welcome ... and thanks for reviewing this cuz your review was what inspired me to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates