Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, January 7, 2012

"The Blind Side"

by Michael Lewis, NF, 2006, 339p, rating=3
own this paperback copy

When we first meet him, he is one of thirteen children by a mother addicted to crack; he does not know his real name, his father, his birthday, or how to read or write. He takes up football, and school, after a rich, white, Evangelical family plucks him from the streets. Then two great forces alter Oher: the family's love and the evolution of professional football itself into a game in which the quarterback must be protected at any cost. Our protagonist becomes the priceless package of size, speed, and agility necessary to guard the quarterback's greatest vulnerability, his blind side. (book cover)

I enjoyed the movie version of this so I was excited to read the book.  Duh, I didn't realize that it'd be in non-fiction format so I had a rough time reading through it.  I barely know the first thing about football so much of the football jargon was incredibly confusing.  But I was determined to find the heart of the story that touched me in the film.  Indeed, Michael Oher is a fascinating man.  He certainly can be a poster child for beating the odds.  Like in the movie, Mr. Oher is lovable.

An overall well written book.  I personally found the film version more entertaining ... they made it more dramatic.  But if you like detail and love football then this book is right up your alley!  And if that's the case then the sappy stuff might be the parts you'd like to brush through.  ;)

5 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen this movie, or read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless you like non-fiction tedious kinds of reads I'd just stick to watching the movie, Adelina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't finish the book. I tried reading it when it first came out, way before the movie. I found it tedious and repetitive. I ended up getting on the Internet to find out what happened to him. But I thought the movie was entertaining, in a sappy sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the movie but think I will pass on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has the movie and the book. I laughed when someone got him the book because he's not a reader. He might be more interested when I tell him that its non-fiction.

    Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates