Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Brief Reviews: Kill Me If You Can; The Graduate; Breakfast at Tiffny's

Kill Me If You Can by James Patterson and Marshall Karp, AF, 2011, Playaway digital audio, 8hrs, rating=3.5
Source: library

I was ready to drop this because it was getting to be a heavy Rated R to my reading ears (incest, violence) but dang it the plot hooked me!  I wanted to see what happens to Matthew after he found a bag of diamonds at Grand Central.  Wow, the twists was awesome!!  I just could have done without the incest part (not too crazy about the violence either but I can't say the title didn't warn me) so I would recommend this to adults only.  In general, the romance was alright but it was the BIG twist that delighted me.

The Graduate by Terry Johnson, AF, 2011, Playaway digital audio, Based on the novel by Charles Webb and screenplay by Calder Willingham and Buck Henry, 2hrs, rating=3
Source: library

Because this was a radio play, there was the dramatic sound effects and several actors so it was very entertaining.  Kathleen Turner was perfect as Mrs. Robinson.  She was hilarious!  But because I pictured Dustin Hoffman as Benjamin Braddock, I had a harder time connecting to the actor Matthew Rhys in this play.  Don't get me wrong, his voice acting was great and fitting.  Anyway, this was a fun find.  Bummer, my library doesn't have the book this was based on so I can compare.  Oh, I haven't seen the movie!  I've seen clips here and there but not in whole.  Remember, I've been living under a rock! ;)

The Breakfast Club by Truman Capote, AF, 1958, 85p, rating=3
Source: library, ISBN#0-451-16651-5
Cover: not the same image as book I read from; couldn't find it on the Web

Ugh, I've been sitting on this review for weeks!  I can't seem to put to words my disappointment so I'll just go with that, I was disappointed.  I was expecting a light, cute, and sophisticated story (had image of Audrey Hepburn's depiction of Holly Golightly) and frankly it was not.  I can understand the literary fascination to this book.  You can pick it apart and find interesting things but it may have been too dark or scandalous for my liking.  Therefore, this might be one of those times that I might like the film version better than the book (based on the image, I actually haven't seen the movie!  Haha, I might not like the movie either?).

Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly (source)

classicsclub
Qualifies for this challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates