Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 28, 2012

"The Glass Case"


by Kristin Hannah, AF, 2011, ebook, 38p, rating=4
Source: own
*SPOILER ALERT*

In her classic short story THE GLASS CASE, Kristin Hannah explores the heart and mind of a young mother. April Bannerman is a young mother of three, married to her high school sweetheart & living in the same small town in which she grew up. Although she loves her children and husband, April is plagued by the growing doubt that she has not lived up to her mother's expectations for her---until one day when something terrible and unexpected happens, and April must face the truth about her own life and discover what really matters.

BONUS MATERIAL INCLUDED: 1st chapter of Kristin Hannah’s newest novel HOME FRONT. (Goodreads)

I get it now (I read two short stories yesterday)!  Sorry An Unexpected Date, you happened to be the first short story ebook I read and got slammed for my ignorance of the design of short story books.  Which I've recognized might be to taste the author's writing style and perhaps include an excerpt of the author's full length books at the end of the short story.  Anyway, I have a new perspective and have been enlightened.  Unfortunately, An Unexpected Date took the sacrifice for my learning.

Okay, now about this book.  Well, this short story was an example of a captivating morsel.  The tale had enough content to experience the quality of the writer as well.  In this case, this was a good showcase because I certainly will now look into her full length books.  :)

Specifically about this story, April's character was able to stir emotions from me.  I was able to empathize with her journey of contemplation in "what could have been" and the reflection of family life.  I especially ached for her when her youngest was not in the school bus home.  The fear and the desperation was palpable.  I'm short of breath right now just thinking about it.  I'd panic too should any of the my children go missing ..even for a minute!  Such I've experience during a shopping trip when my ever curious daughter (actually, all three of my boogers have done this at some point) went wondering off.  A very torturous minute or two nightmare while searching for her whereabouts!!  Definitely not a picnic in the park so for that reason, this story came alive for me.

In sum, this short story packed concentrated content that was telling of a great writer, emotionally relatable tale, and a wonderful message of love, loss, and gratitude to boot.  Great job Ms Hannah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates