Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Filipino Friday: Weeks #2 & #3

(Go HERE for details but go to homepage to link)

My time lately have been very tight and I just haven't been able to put as much as I would like into reading and blogging so I've got some catching up to do! 

Last week's question:
School of Reading. We all started reading somewhere, and more often than not, we were influenced by someone. Who got you into reading? Your parents? A friend? A librarian? One teacher who always lends out his/her books? How helpful was your school in helping your reading habit / fueling your book addiction?

My answer:
I think the reading bug is a divine gift to many.  I was given it but it took a long while for me to recognize and accept it.  I do recall a spark for reading during elementary years in response to a school reading challenge program but it pretty much ended when the challenge was completed (or so I thought).  Unfortunately, my parents weren't book readers (Dad read newspapers) so I had very little reading influence at home.  However, in retrospect, I found no burden in reading required readings during all my school years, including college, and I did read for pleasure every so often.  It wasn't until a couple years ago that it just clicked for me and I finally started to refine the gift.  I had had it all along, I just needed to polish it. So happy I finally got to this point. :)

This week's question:
Reading Habits and Book Formats.  Where and how do you read? Can you read anywhere and everywhere, or do you need a certain place/mood/state of mind to get reading? Do you read more in the morning or at night or any minute that you can? Where and how do you usually read? Are you exclusively for print, or do you go for ebooks more than print? Have you ever tried audiobooks?

My answer
I read whenever and wherever I can squeeze it into my day/night.  Sometimes when I'm on that reading zeal I put some things aside, like house chores, and read instead ..sometimes overnight.  It catches up on me sooner or later and I find myself on a major reading rut!  So generally, my reading habit can be quite a roller coaster.  I'm still figuring out a balance.

I mainly read printed books.  It's the format I prefer.  However, I've discovered a love for Playaway digital audio books for the ease of use and convenience.  I am able to "read" while on the go and it's fabulous!  However, I'm limited to what my library has because they're too expensive for me to actually purchase to own.  Furthermore, a few months ago, I finally experienced the world of ebooks and I like it more than I thought I would.  Problem with that is that my TBR list have doubled because Amazon makes it easy for me to place books in my Kindle!


7 comments:

  1. My co-blogger picked up a few playaways from the library. I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rediscovering reading is an even better gift, isn't it? :)

    Please check out my post when you get a chance:
    Filipino Friday 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's the first time I've heard of Playaway. It seems like a really cool device. I do love to give audio books a try. And you're right, they leave both of your hands free to do other things and you can still keep your eyes on your kids at the same time. :)

    With e-books you'll never really realize that you have a huge TBR pile already because you don't physically see the books actually piling up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, my parents weren't book readers either. But I'm glad I was able to adapt the reading habit.

    "Sometimes when I'm on that reading zeal I put some things aside, like house chores, and read instead ..sometimes overnight." - Haha! It's really hard to notice the time when you're reading, especially a book that's really gripping. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's quick and easy As I just said, to be published on Kindle is not a test insurmountable. Nothing to do with publishing "real"! You load your book and your coverage, please answer a few questions, create a description and it's over. discover more about book-on-kindle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I find my 'required reading' materials during college years quite boring. I guess historical events and biographies aren't my cup of tea. And yeah, this reading bug is something else because I know some people who are allergic to books just as much as I love to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates