Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Filipino Friday: Kids and Books

Thursday today in the U.S. but Friday in the Philippines
(Go HERE to join the fun!)

Topic:  Kids and Books. What were your favorite books as a kid? Do you still read children’s books? If you would give a book to your younger self, what would it be?

My answer:
Unfortunately I didn't grow up in a family that was into book reading so I didn't have much motivation for reading as a kid.  Hence,  I don't have a favorite book as a kid.  I did have an episode of a reading run during a short period in elementary school but I don't recall what I read (except one ..that's another story though) let alone having a favorite.  From then on my reading experience was sporadic ..mainly just school assigned readings.  It wasn't until 2010 did the reading bug bite me. I have since been a prolific reader.  Anyway, now having young kids of my own I try to provide an environment that supports the love for book reading so, definitely, I still read children's books. 

Below are a few of our favorites (series installments as well) and I'm having a rough time narrowing one to give to my younger self.  But Corduroy by Don Freeman has a special place in my heart because it was the first book I read to my first born that grabbed me so if I had to choose, it would have to be that book.  :)


How about you? I'd love to hear some of your kid reading experiences and favorite books so feel free to write them on the comments.


10 comments:

  1. :) Happy Filipino Friday, Jinky! I've never read Corduroy. I think we are all thankful that we can get our fill of books now, even in adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you! --Yes, I'm glad that I'm finally getting my fill of books even late in the game.

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful that you can share the discovery of these books with your kids. Happy Filipino Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never, I guess! --Happy FF to you too.

      Delete
  3. Love how you're sharing your passion for books with your kids. When I was about 11, I devoured the Nancy Drew series, then The Hardy Boys.

    Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try. --I'll have to get to those books someday. --Good to see you here Kittie. I'll be visiting you soon. :)

      Delete
  4. I think you're on the right track by letting your kids learn to love reading. I'm sure they'll appreciate it when they're older... :)

    And I should read "The Giver" again! I've already forgotten what it's about.

    My Filipino Friday list is here. ^____^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. --Haha, I've forgotten the details to The Giver too but I remember it sure was amazing!

      Delete
  5. I loved the Folks Of The Faraway Tree books - Moon Face and Dame Washalot being my favourite characters.
    Yes, I still read children's Books. I've just re-read and reviewed Little Women.
    The book I'd give my younger self? Hmm, Any of Julia Donaldson's books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Women is on my tbr. Bummer the FOTFT books aren't in my library but some Donaldson's books are. Thanks for the heads up ..I think highly of your book taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates