Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, March 3, 2011

"The Pearl"

by John Steinbeck, AF, 1945, 90, rating=3
**SPOILER ALERT**

"Like his father and grandfather before him, Kino is a poor diver, gathering pearls from the Gulf beds that once brought great wealth to the Kings of Spain and now provide Kino, Juana, and their infant son with meager subsistence.  Then, on a day like any other, Kino emerges from the sea with a pearl as large as a sea gull's egg, as "perfect as the moon."  With the pearl comes hope, the promise of comfort and of security ..." (book's blurb)
This is the saddest book ever!! ...ever I've read so far.  So bleak and tragic!!  Reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road but this one I couldn't stomach.  Literary wise it was poetic and well written, but I just couldn't get pass the tragedy.  It began in a sad tone and it didn't let up.  I saw a moral lesson coming but the end just threw me for a loop.  I was expecting a happy ending and needless to say it was not. 

Based on a Mexican folk tale, this book provides a good source for dissecting man's nature.  I was able to feel sadness, anger, disgust, love, and pain.  Unfortunately, it was too much of a downer for my taste.  In essence, greed equals trouble!  BIG trouble!!  There, you've read the book so spare yourself a heartache.

**On a happier note:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MOMMY!!  I LOVE YOU MOM!  YOU'RE THE BEST!!

3 comments:

  1. Jinky, think I will pass on this one, I am in the mood for something light and humerous. Please wish your mother a Happy Birthday for me :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad taught this book for many years to Gr. 7s & 8s, but I've never read it. I didn't know it was a downer! I think Steinbeck has written more recognizable books but it's always interesting to explore outside the box.

    P.S. Happy birthday, Jinky's mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this in High School. Sad I thought but Steinbeck was genius. Stopped by as I Spring clean my blog roll. Thanks for being a follower!
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates