Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Adonis ..and Arlee and his A-Team

I'd like to start this awesome challenge by giving a big shout out thanks to the founder of "Blogging from A to Z", Mr. Arlee Bird @Tossing It Out!  Thank you for this brilliant idea that truly challenges and rewards.  We love you Lee!!

I also want to send out a big thanks to Arlee's "A-Team", the moderators.  Thank you all for your time.

The Madlab Post (Nicole Ayers)
Tossing It Out (Arlee Bird)
Amlokiblogs (Damyanti Biswas)
Alex J. Cavanaugh (Alex J. Cavanaugh)
Life is Good (Tina Downey)
Cruising Altitude 2.0 (DL Hammons)
Retro-Zombie (Jeremy Hawkins)
The Warrior Muse (Shannon Lawrence)
The QQQE (Matthew MacNish)
Leave it to Livia (Livia Peterson)
No Thought 2 Small (Konstanz Silverbow)
Breakthrough Blogs (Stephen Tremp)
Spunk on a Stick (L. Diane Wolfe)

Okay, now for my A to Z ...

atoz2013
This is a challenge to post every day in April (except on Sundays) blogging thematically from A to Z. Go HERE for details. My A-Z theme this year is Greek Mythology inspired by the book The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan that I recently read.  Please be aware that what I write is my interpretation of my findings and may not necessarily be accurate.

Painting by J.W. Waterhouse

Adonis is known as the god of beauty and desire.  Ovid wrote about Adonis in his book, Metamorphoses.  In his interpretation, Aphrodite fell in love with Adonis and as a new born baby entrusted him to Persephone.  It turned out that Persephone also fell in love with him and would not give him back to Aphrodite.  So Zeus settled the dispute and told Adonis that he spends a third of every year with each goddess and the last third with whomever he wanted.  He ended up choosing two-third each year with Aphrodite. 

The painting above is a depiction of Adonis's dying moment.  A wild boar had bitten his upper thigh (groin according to Bion's Lament for Adonis) that caused him to bleed to death.  The woman over him is Aphrodite (the others are cupids) and the flowers are anemones ... now, I read a couple of versions of how the anemones came about.  One, Aphrodite sprinkled nectar on Adonis's blood and it turned into anemones.  Two, Aphrodite's tears became anemones. 

On a personal note:  I actually dated a guy named Adonis, I kid you not!  We didn't date long.  I suppose I wasn't his Aphrodite.  ;)

Sources:
Wikipedia
Blog

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! --Looks like you're a day ahead of me ..I like your letter B!! :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the challenge! Who actually names their child Adonis these days? What a fun post! I participated last year and had a blast!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! --I know! At the time, my friends got a kick out of it and teased me like crazy (indirectly at him). --Maybe next year then?

      Delete
  3. I love Greek mythology, so I'm very happy to have happened upon your blog today.

    (Grover at Inane Ramblings)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by. I'm excited to be learning about the topic.

      Delete
  4. Way to hate your kid, naming him Adonis....lol Very interesting post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That crossed my head too but he sure took it well ..keeping it ..pretty brave of him! --Thanks!

      Delete
  5. New follower here. I enjoy Greek mythology and look forward to seeing your posts this month. Dating a guy named Adonis could be a prompt for a story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I followed you back. --Yes, there's a story but I'll have to tell it another time. :)

      Delete
  6. I've seen this painting 'in the flesh' - it's amazing!

    Was your fella Greek then? I was on Corfu last year where nearly every man is called Spiros (random fact!).

    Lovely to meet you through the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool!! Lucky you!! --No, he was Filipino. --Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I always wanted to date a guy named Thor... don't know why. But my dating days are done now. Happy A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'd like to date Thor aka Chris H.! But like you, my dating days are done!

      Delete
  8. Some more Greek mythology! There's so much of it, everyone could probably do it and still not cover everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't think about it being overdone! But you're right, probably a lot that still wouldn't get covered.

      Delete
  9. Cool story but who would name their poor child Adonis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! But he took it to stride ..confident but not cocky.

      Delete
  10. You actually dated a guy named Adonis? That was brave. Happy A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a Filipino. He kept his name in adulthood so brave for him too. --Good to see you again. :)

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed your post! I think it's awesome that you dated someone named Adonis—although I do wonder why his parents were inspired to give him that name... ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! --I'm not sure they looked ahead but we parents mean well.

      Delete
  12. I dated an Androcles... typical greek god... all looks and NO brains. Didn't last long. Thanks for stopping by my A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer about the no brains! --You're welcome. Thanks for stopping back.

      Delete
  13. Enjoyed that. Didn't know very much about him. This is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having fun getting to know some things about GM. --Thanks for stoppin' by.

      Delete
  14. Very cool theme! I love that you are being so original. This is my first visit to your blog. Please visit ours at http://citymusecountrymuse2012.blogspot.com/ and please sign up to become a member if you like what you see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ..but I hear it's not so original after all but there's so much information that we all wouldn't be able to cover everything. --Yes, I visited and did like so I'm a new follower.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates