Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 21, 2013

R is for Rhadamanthus

I was working on this last night (close to the 11th hour) and before I could publish the post, my computer decided to go haywire! So here it is a day late.  Oh well.

atoz2013

This is a challenge to post every day in April (except on Sundays) blogging thematically from A to Z. Go HERE for details. My A-Z theme this year is Greek Mythology inspired by the book The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan that I recently read.  Please be aware that what I write is my interpretation of my findings and may not necessarily be accurate are straight quotes.
Also, "Featured Book" at the end of these posts are books I've reviewed in this book blog, coinciding with the letter of the day.


Rhadamanthus:

  • A son of Zeus and Europa, and brother of king Minos of Crete (Hom. Il. xiv. 322),
  • Or, according to others, a son of Hephaestus (Paus. viii. 53. § 2).
  • From fear of his brother he fled to Ocaleia in Boeotia, and there married Alcmene.
  • In consequence of his justice throughout life, he became, after his death, one of the judges in the lower world, and took up his abode in Elysium.
  • He was a wise king, the son of Zeus and Europa.
  • Later accounts even make him out to be one of the judges of the dead.
  • His brothers were Sarpedon and Minos (also a king and later a judge of the dead).
  • He was raised by Asterion.
  • He had two sons, Gortys and Erythrus.

Sources:
Greek Myth Index
Wikipedia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Featured Book:

Reaping Me Softly by Kate Evangelista

My Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. I know my mythology fairly well, but I don't remember this guy at all. Thanks for posting about him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates