Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for Hestia

atoz2013
This is a challenge to post every day in April (except on Sundays) blogging thematically from A to Z. Go HERE for details. My A-Z theme this year is Greek Mythology inspired by the book The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan that I recently read.  Please be aware that what I write is my interpretation of my findings and may not necessarily be accurate.


Hestia is the daughter of Rhea and Cronus, their first born. Her name means, “home and hearth” hence she is the goddess of the hearth. She is also the symbol of the sanctity of home (she stayed in Olympus and did domestic chores). She rejected marriage proposals from Poseidon and Apollo and remains a virgin. There is a tale that it is around the hearth which a new born child is carried before it is received into the family. Also, upon marrying, a new bride would carry fire from her mother's home to the new, symbolizing the Goddess's presence blessing her new family. At every public or private ritual, the first offering was always made to her. Of all the Olympians, she is the mildest, most upright and most charitable. I like this chick!

Sources:
Gods Laid Bare
Greek Mythology
Wikipedia

While you're here, my blog turned 3yo and I'm giving away $13 in Amazon, B&N, or TBD
Enter HERE

3 comments:

  1. I like her too! No shenanigans from this one and Zeus didn't have to bring down any curses on her either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that three! She sounds pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone reasonable in Olympus??
    Good to know

    nice to meet you from A to Z

    Lady's Knight

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates